Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Thinking and Praying

I'm thinking and specifically praying today about Haiti and the team who are all taveling there. I'm feeling a bit anxious. Don't know why. But that is where I'm at. As I remember my last trip, three years ago, I recall I felt some anxiety prior to that trip as well.

With my continued reading of another book by Paul Farmer, "Haiti - After the Earthquake" I am finding that book more positive and hopeful for the people of Haiti. That is what I have been searching for - some hope and possibility for things in Haiti to move forward. There is still much rubble which has not been removed. There are still many people that are living in temporary housing. There is still a cholera epidemic (I need to make sure I get cholera shots). There is still a government that is not centralized or organized as it needs to be for the sake of the country. There is still a very high unemployment rate. There is still a deprived system of clean water and a lack of system for sewage and all waste removal.

But in the midst of all this which seems hopeless, I am feeling encouraged by some small spots of progress. Schools are being rebuilt. 52.9% of the money sent in 2010 and 2011 has been disbursed. That is better than the 2008 hurrican season when 15% of pledges were disbursed.

I know, the downside seems steeper than the upside. But, in Haiti, one must seize onto what small doses of progress you can.

1 comment:

  1. I also am enjoying the book.
    I am still feeling the excitement that I started with. I wonder if my anxiousness will kick in on the night before or the morning of departure.
    I also feel that hope and finding sparks of movement forward are the only way to keep believing that Haiti could possibly be a more healthy functioning country.
    We'll see.
    Love you dad,
    Bec

    ReplyDelete