Monday, March 4, 2013

The Desire to Give......

It is hard to imagine that it is presently 76 degrees in Haiti right now. And the expected high for today is 88 degrees. It's hard for me to believe because where I'm sitting - looking out the window - it's 20 degrees and the wind is blowing and the snow is drifting in my driveway. What a contrast!

As I continue to read in "Haiti after the Earthquake" by Paul Farmer, I continue to be moved by what it was like for others in Haiti in the days just before, during, and after the earthquake of 2010. In December of 2009, Dr. Paul was convening a meeting for Haiti and their need for preparation. Dr. Paul was concerned about Hurricane preparation. Hurricanes are a common event in Haiti. They are right smack dab in the middle of a regular path where hurricanes sweep through. The disaster expert at that meeting, a staff member from the United Nations, spoke these words: "Paul, the next disaster will likely be an earthquake or a tsunami".

The earthquake was not a totally unexpected event. But they had not had one in over 200 years. But Haiti does lie on a fault line. Will an earthquake happen again? A more relevant question for me and my family is, will an earthquake happen again on this trip to Haiti? We certainly hope and pray that it won't.

I received a bag of goodies, just the other day, to load in our suitcase for Haiti. People are continuing to give and they do that because they want to help in some way. People love to be part of something that is bigger than themselves and they offer whatever they can.

I now have two suitcases. They are both the largest allowed by the airlines. If one is filled and we have overflow, then I have the other to take as well. The airlines only allow one suitcase and the second will require an extra fee ($ 30). But that is okay. I don't want to squelch people's desire to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment